Assistant Director, Early Childhood and Family Engagement
Temple Israel of the City of New York
Who we are:
Temple Israel Early Childhood Learning Center is a welcoming, loving, nurturing play-based community. Our progressive program is inspired by the Reggio Emilia Philosophy, by the Project Approach and steeped in a deep understanding of child development.
The child is at the center of all that we do in the Early Childhood Learning Center. In each of our programs – for babies, tots and preschoolers, our goal is to nurture each child’s innate sense of curiosity and creativity by providing a safe and engaging environment for them to explore and discover. We see our work in Family Engagement as an extension of this philosophy. Our aim is to provide opportunities for parents, grandparents, caregivers and children to discover and experience together.
As part of a vibrant Reform Jewish community, our school is guided by Jewish values and culture. We celebrate Shabbat each week and center our classrooms around the Jewish holidays.
What we are looking for:
Our ideal candidate is an experienced educator who is knowledgeable about early childhood development and its application to an emergent curriculum. As a member of the school leadership, this person must be deeply invested in fostering connections with students, parents, faculty and prospective families. They should enjoy being an accessible participant in the school community with a warm and dynamic presence.
The Assistant Director supports our nurturing, supportive community – helping children, families and faculty grow emotionally, socially, intellectually, physically and spiritually through a child-centered, developmentally appropriate approach.
Ideally, we are looking for a professional who is ready to take the next step in their career. This position provides an opportunity to grow as an educational leader, as a program and curriculum designer and as an administrator.
What you will do:
The Assistant Director will be responsible for assisting with the oversight and management of the daily operations. Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Admissions: leading tours, articulating the vision of the school and guiding prospective parents through the process.
- Baby and Toddler classes: recruitment, oversee variety of educators and vendors, negotiate contracts.
- School Administration: assisting Director with coordination of school activities and events and communication with families, supporting teachers in their work with families and students and coordinating projects delegated by Director.
- Summer Camp: marketing, registration of families, hiring and supervising staff, running daily operations.
What we offer:
- Benefits including full health insurance, flex spending, retirement matching
- Professional membership in Early Childhood Educators of Reform Judaism (ECE-RJ)
- Opportunities and funding for ongoing professional development and/or study
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Masters’ Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field required, NYS Certification preferred
- At least 5 years’ experience in the field of early childhood education (ages 1-6)
- A proven record of working effectively with children and families
- Deep understanding of emergent curriculum in early childhood
- Commitment to the school’s vision and mission
- Strong interpersonal skills with adults and children of diverse backgrounds
- Organizational and project management skills, including delegation and prioritization
- Experience working collaboratively in an inclusive community
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for special programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a team player
Please email cover letter and resume to Lisa Samick, email@example.com.